When established, Seeberg Castle served as one of the military bases forming the rear in the process of the German colonisation of the Cheb region. It is very likely that the original Romanesque castle stood here already in the late 12th century; however, the first written record dates back only to the year 1322. It was at this time that Ludwig of Bavaria mortgaged the castle and the entire Cheb region to Jan of Luxembourg in return for a pledge of assistance in his aspiration for the imperial throne. The pledge remained unfulfilled and the castle fell under the property of the Czech Crown.
Opening Hours: 17.3.2018 - 18.11.2018, open daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Entrance Fee: Adults 90 CZK, Children (7-15) 30 CZK
The collections currently exhibited represent the development of interior and furniture design in the 19th century (the French Imperial Style, Biedermeier, the Second Rococo, the Neo-Renaissance, the Neo-Gothic, Chippendale), the black kitchen, baroque and rococo inlaid furniture, the rural areas of Cheb in the 19th century (ethnography), and also the history of porcelain and the contemporary production of Karlovarský porcelán a.s.
A Hall of Ceremonies is located in what was formerly the Knight’s Hall.